Sunday, December 12, 2010

Craft Fair Trades are the Best!

Isaac and I had a super fun time at the Auckland Art and Craft fair.  Thank you so much to everyone who came out to support us!  The event started really well as the event coordinator (Jess) was kind enough to make mention of us on the radio.  We were really honored and it was incredibly encouraging pre-fair.  Thanks so much Jess!  Jess runs a really cool online store for NZ handmade called FOXES. If you have a hankering for some hand made or still need some Christmas presents you should check it out.  She is an amazing lady who runs many Craft focused events in Auckland.

Of course....between the two of us...we still managed to forget to shoot any pictures of the event.  This is a constant trend with us and it's sort of funny as I have no event photos to share.  Instead, I decided to share with you the AMAZING trade scores I received at the Craft fair.  Trades are so much fun and very important to Isaac and I as we are always broke but still have our eye on other peoples nice creations.  I always feel very honored to take away a piece of someones art.  There are so many amazingly talented people around and I wanted to take a moment to rave about a few.

Firstly...we did a trade with our friend Louise who is the creative force behind 'Bibliographica'.  You may have seen her work around town as she hand creates amazing leather hand bound journals of all shapes and sizes as well as tiny book necklaces, earrings and a beautiful assortment of vintage accessories.  She is an amazing craftswomen who pays close attention to detail.  When I look at her work, I feel like I am transported back in time as her pieces and artisan-ship reflects the medieval age when books were works of art, hand crafted out of the finest materials and by expert hands.  She also works with beautifully aged and supple leather.  Isaac and I both chose small journals which are very lovely and special.  I have been admiring her work for awhile so I was very excited to finally own one of her creations! Here is a photo of mine:


Isn't it beautiful!  Get to her shop quickly and buy one for yourself.

Next on the list....a gorgeous black velveteen bunny made from vintage materials created by Melissa Wastney of 'Tiny Happy'.  Check it out:



I have to say I am IN LOVE with this bunny.  I have a quirky passion for stuffed bunnies and squirrels (my friends are well aware and laugh at my obsession).  I think this is partly due to the fact that I REALLY want a pet dwarf bunny and have been trying to work Isaac down into letting me get one.  He tells me I really want a baby...I tell him...no...just a bunny.  He's actually the clucky one!  Anyway...Melissa makes beautiful hand sewn accessories of all kinds. Her work is very delicate and finished, and she in person is an incredibly warm person whose genuine loveliness reflects in all she creates.  The bunny brings me back to childhood and holds a lot of whimsy for me.  Thank you so much Melissa for your beautiful creation!  Please check out her store for other great creations...Now...to get Isaac to give me a real bunny...

Lastly I received a beautiful hand created ceramic ring by Vivienne Frances Long.  Vivienne is the creator behind 'Ceramics Can Fly' and creates really fun, quirky animal  inspired masks, necklaces, rings and more.  Her work is very conceptual and 'outside the ceramics box'.  I really like her fresh approach as her work is often fun, beautiful and thought provoking simultaneously.   Here is my new ring:



Isn't it beautiful!  I am afraid I may break this piece of art but she assured me that it was strong and able to withstand my clumsiness.  Go to her blog to check out more of her great work.

Hooray for trades...I am grateful.  A perfect end to a fun craft fair.  Thanks again for all the support!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Barb!
    I'm so sorry i didn't get to see you guys on saturday. I don't have staff with me you see! It was a brilliant day - the venue was excellent, so much space this time! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Barb, you are such a honey! I love my cuff and have had so many comments on it! Your work is also beautiful and I have admired it for a long time too! What a wonderful way to start a new friendship. xxxx Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete